The existing Ilūkste Roman Catholic Church was built in 1816 and financed by Countess Catharina Sieberg. In 1861, the church was handed over to the Orthodox Church but in 1920 – back to the Roman Catholic parish. The church was renovated in 1921. After the First World War, under the aegis of canon Francis Trasuns the church was given back to the Catholic parish and consecrated to the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The church is a stone building with one tower of medium height. It has three stone altars with a wooden superstructure inspired by Subate Church altars. There is an ante-room behind the front door with a choir room and a 19th century organ above it. The church is open for public during services.